Tuesday 3 November 2009

British No Gi Open 2009

Well, I've been looking forward to this day for a while now, and was a very sensible person to organise a Haloween party the night before. Who would have thoought that the 1st of November was after the 31st October.

So, I had arranged to meet up with my club and the artofjits at a trainstation at 7am Sunday morning, I'd gotten to bed by 0ne I think. My alarm was set for 6, I snoozed and slept through, so my phone rang at 7 and I rushed to meet everyone. I chose not to drive as I was a little worse for wear.

We got down there in plenty of time, I'd sobered up and felt good by then.

My first fight was called and I'd got a very tall gent called Steve from GB Swanse, I made a silly mistake giving him the easy takedown and I spent the rest of the 5 minutes going from mount to turtle to giving my back but at no time did I fear him submitting me. I was down 20 points to nil, first round loss, I may love to compete, but I hate to lose. I felt exhausted and demoralised.

being in a high weight cat, there does not tend to be many of us, five infact on this lovely day. I'd got a by in the first round so I needed to find out how the bronze was being awarded, I had to fight for it. The words I wanted to hear, I had to fight a guy wearing a Braulio shirt, but I'd seen him tap out easily in his first round to something that should not have worked. All he did was shoot for a single leg, after a while I managed to break him down to turtle where I tried to take his back and manged to sweep him over and gain mount. He left his arm in the right shape for a paintbrush, I did not think twice and attacked and he tapped quickly. The Bronze was mine. I'd brought back my hope for a chance of gold as I could now enter the absolute.

I think some shenanigans went on with the absolute bracket with the person I was fighting getting changed while I was in the toilets. I thought a musclebound super heavy weight, he got the takedown, he controled me well, but I got to my feet and I managed to take him down, and get to side controle, there is no where I feel happier on the ground. he is bridging like a bucking bronko on max, I'm being bounced about like a little girl, I try to put my weight down to stop this, I see that shape again, the same shape that had already brought me victory, victory was within my grasp, I grab the wrist, I start to slide my hand under, then I feel my legs go light and I fly onto my back, I have no idea how, I just know I am on my back and can not escape this beast of a man. my eagerness cost me victory and my chance at gold. I congratulate him and left the event very disapointed.

lessons have been learnt, training in my weaknesses will follow, but my main focus, is Gi fighting until Feb now, with the Abu Dhabbi Gi qualifiers in Dec and the European Open in Jan, they are what I want to win.

No comments:

Post a Comment