Monday 9 November 2009

Grapplemania 2.0 Leeds

After winning the grapplemania 1.0 event at beginner, I was tempted to enter this as advanced. but I thought twice against it, I don't really have the skills to take on a skilled opponent. Plus there was only two people in the advanced last time, and I wanted the chance of more fights.

there where a few guys from my club who where suppost to be going, but it ended up just me and my teacher, most with valid reasons to their absence. I was happy, I knew there would be some guys from Factory BJJ there to cheer me on.

There was a whole three people in the advanced devision this time, one who was a begginer, but thought he'd gamble on the numbers in the advanced and wanted to experience the advanced fighters. He took 3rd.

I draw my fighter, he looks big, very muscled. I hear a shout from the crowd for him to throw a big right, would be an easy way to win I suppose. We clinch up a few times, he's not giving me anything, he's not raggin me about, I try to make him step, but he gives nothing, He gets me down, takes side control and I can't move, he locks up a head and arm triangle and leaps over me. I tap. Very Gutted. Ah well it happens he went on to win the division, which made me feel better.

All fighters get two fights, so I was offered the absolute or a fight against another loser, I chose the absolute. which anyone could enter, no matter size, win or lose or whether advanced or beginer. I forgot there was a cash prize for this. I checked my fight, I recognised the name of the fighter in the fight below me as the guy I'd just fought. the names are called and I all of a sudden have the guy from the next fight. O joy of joy, I'll got the same guy again. I hope he's tired and I might be able to take advantage. We tussle, he's still not giving anything, He manages to take me down again, bt this time, I fight my way back to my feet. He clinch again, I catch a headbut, I'm good, not dazed so we carry on, he I shoot for the single leg, bad idea, he sprawls on me, so I roll to my back and as I do, I catch an elbow to the face, I think one strike, could be an accident, but two? who knows? I end up losing on points. better than being subbed again I suppose.

I then found out that the organisors had matched the weights of the fighters, so they could try and get a david vs goliath final, but not everyone put there weight down. It just seems a bit dodgy with a cash prize atg the end.

Well, when I got home I thought, I'll google the guy I had to fight twice, lets see how he's done in his MMA, I was expecting maybe a couple of fights but he was Neil "oldschool" Wain, 5-1 in his MMA carer with his loss being to Shane Carwin at UFC 89. So I managed to get a pro fighter in a novice division of a local comp. Great.

No comments:

Post a Comment